Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Lord's Plan...Not Always Ours

Today I was doing some reading and I came across the Scripture 2 Samuel 12:15b-23. This is the scripture about King David's son dying. I have read this scripture many times over my life, but I have never really paid much attention to it before this. I found this Scripture interesting. Before I share what I thought of the verses and what I found in a commentary about it I thought I would post the portion of scripture for you to read as well.

2 Samuel 12:15b-23

Then the LORD struck the child that Uriah's widow bore to David, so that he was very sick.
16 David therefore inquired of God for the child; and David fasted and went and lay all night on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him in order to raise him up from the ground, but he was unwilling and would not eat food with them.
18 Then it happened on the seventh day that the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead, for they said, “Behold, while the child was still alive, we spoke to him and he did not listen to our voice. How then can we tell him that the child is dead, since he might do himself harm!”
19 But when David saw that his servants were whispering together, David perceived that the child was dead; so David said to his servants, “Is the child dead?” And they said, “He is dead.”
20 So David arose from the ground, washed, anointed himself, and changed his clothes; and he came into the house of the LORD and worshiped. Then he came to his own house, and when he requested, they set food before him and he ate.
21 Then his servants said to him, “What is this thing that you have done? While the child was alive, you fasted and wept; but when the child died, you arose and ate food.”
22 He said, “While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, 'Who knows, the LORD may be gracious to me, that the child may live.'
23 “But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

David realized that while his child was alive he could pray to God and plead with Him to save his child. But once his child died, he got up, got dressed, and ate. David also realized that his son was dead and nothing he did was going to being him back, so it was time for his life to move on. I think of it like this, David put his life on hold while there was a chance that his son could recover and once he knew there was no chance he moved on with his life.

The verse following this portion says "Then David comforted his wife Bathsheba, and he went to her and made love to her. She gave birth to a son, and they named him Solomon." The Lord did not answer David's prayers the way he wanted them answered, but the Lord did give David many blessings later.

From the moment that Ron and I learned that I was having problems with the pregnancy we had been praying that the Lord would heal me and protect the baby. I also had one other prayer and that was; that the Lord's will be done. I knew from the beginning that our prayers might not be answered in the way we wanted them to be, but that He would give us an answer. I can't tell you how much I hoped that my body would heal itself and that I would be able to carry Emily to full term. But the Lord still had a hand in everything that happened. And I realized that even when God answers our prayers with a no, He has other plans.
The Lord had other plans for David's life and how his life witnessed to those around him. I see this the same for our family.

The Lord had a plan for Emily's short life. For me, sometimes I wish I knew what that plan was right now. It might make losing her easier. Then I think about the fact that we may never know the whole impact Emily's life and death had on people. We may not know until we get to heaven. Like I said in the letter I sent out after Emily's death, her life already has had Kingdom impact and will continue too. 

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...