Monday, February 7, 2011

Emily Faith's Story Part II

Here is part two of my pregnancy with Emily Faith.

At 10 weeks (October 25, 2010) we had our first official doctor’s appointment. The doctor did another ultrasound to confirm my dates, and we got to see our baby’s beating heart again.
At this appointment we talked to the doctor about our concern over having another preterm birth. Maddie was born at 35 weeks and we never had any indication that I would deliver early. No contractions or preterm labor of any kind. My water simply broke at 35 weeks, which meant she had to be delivered.
The doctor told us that I fall into a category of 10% of women that they have no explanation for why they deliver early. It is not very comforting to have your doctor tell you “we don’t know why it happened and we don’t know if it will happen again.” However, the doctor told us that research suggested that a weekly progesterone shot, starting at 15 weeks and continuing through 35 weeks, helped prolong pregnancy in over 50% of women. Ron and I decided that we were willing to do what we had to do to make sure our baby had the best chance possible.
So, beginning at 15 weeks (November 29) I got my first shot. I got my last shot at 22 weeks (January 17).
Reflection: Looking back, it seems to me that November 29th was when we began our up and down journey of emotions, doctor visits, and hospital admissions.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...