Friday, April 15, 2011

Five Minute Friday: On Distance

Distance is a funny thing. Often you do not realize the distance of something until you stop and really think about it.

It has been two months, two weeks and six days since Emily died. It is interesting to me that I choose to say "since she died," not "since she was born" I go back and forth between those two phrases. Which is the best to use?

But I digress, distance has played a huge role in my life. When I was a child we lived at least 100 miles from the closest relative and some were much, much further. I was determined that my children would not know this distance from her family, so we now live in the same house as my dad and with in 5 miles of my mom, brother and sister.

When I was in my early 20's I spent 6 months a considerable distance from my family, over 3,000 miles to be more precise. It was a good time for me to grow closer to God and to realize that I can make it on my own. It gave me the Independence I needed to become the adult that I am.

When I started dating my husband we lived over 60 miles apart. That made dating a bit more difficult in the beginning, but we made it work and made a life together, and now there is no distance between us, which is wonderful.

STOP

So I have to admit that the last sentence was finished after the 5 minutes were up, but I really could not just leave a sentence hanging, and leave you hanging. So I finished it, but of course writing should not be legalistic, it should be fun, so if I wrote for 5.2 minutes, it is not the end of the word.

Now that you have read my crazy rambling "on distance," why not join me this weeks as I like up with The Gypsy Mama on her Five Minute Friday. You spend 5 minutes writing whatever comes to mind on the topic that she supplies. It is one of my favorite posts of the week.



3 comments:

Carrie said...

Visiting from Five Minute Friday,

My boyfriend and I have been making due with distance for the past 4 months, glad to know you and your husband did it well :)

Krista said...

We have a lot in common that. My grandparents lived either in Ohio (and I can count in single digits the times I saw them before they died when I was a teenager) or a 10+ hour car drive away. Now when I think about moving far away from my parents it doesn't hurt me so much as it hurts me to think of the lost relationships for my boys. I'm not sure I can do it!

Caroline said...

Beautiful post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...