Wednesday, May 11, 2011

New Infant Loss Support Group

Recently, the women who runs Compassionate Friends in our city has started an infant loss support group. It is a group that lasts 6 weeks and is to help parents grieve the loss of their infant. The group started last week.

For me it is a time to spend thinking about Emily and being able to share with other parents who have also lost a baby. It is a time to be able to connect and grieve together, and know that we are not alone in our journey.

At the beginning of the meeting each parent gets the chance to light a candle in honor of the child or children that we have lost. Before attending Compassionate Friends I had never lit a candle for Emily. I now think it is very symbolic gesture and really like to light a candle for her.

Now that I have experienced a loss, one of my desires is to be able to be there for other families who have experienced a loss. While I understand that every one's actual experience is different, everyone grieves and I think also needs someone to reach out to them. I want to be able to hold the hand of a mom who has recently lost her child, to cry with her, or even laugh with her if that is what she needs.

I want to come along side these families and offer support or anything else they need. I had several women who came along side me and offered comfort right after Emily died and it meant so much to me. I was able to hear from them that what I was feeling was normal and that how I was dealing with my grief was perfectly fine.

So my hope, even after this infant loss support group is over, is to be able to find a way to offer support to families within my community. I also want to be a support in the online community, but I think that there is something so powerful and helpful about being able to talk with someone face to face.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You're doing a wonderful thing. New BLMs need women like you. Its a huge comfort knowing that we're not alone and that its okay to talk about our children.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...